Tuesday, February 16, 2010

One Way Hiccup

Monday morning, 8:15 am.

I am in the process of checking in for my 10:45 flight. Because it´s an international flight and I´m checking bags, the attendant for Air Canada comes to my kiosk. (Yes, you read that correctly. I flew Air Canada from Pittsburgh to Lima with a layover in Toronto.) She wasn´t the most chipper airline employee.

While in the process of entering my information, she becomes puzzled and without looking up from the computer asks, “Where´s your return flight?”

“I don´t have a return flight. I bought a one way ticket.”

Now she looks at me. Looks at me like a second head just sprouted from my right shoulder.

“You need to have a return flight. I can´t let you board the plane if you don´t have a return flight. You need proof that you´re coming back. Immigration won´t let you into Peru if you don´t have a return flight.”

“My good word isn´t enough proof?”

A third head must have popped out of my left shoulder because her look went from puzzled to disgusted.

“Sir, you need a return ticket. Here´s a number you can call.”

I didn´t need a return flight. There is no way immigration was going to check for my return ticket. Who even carries their return ticket months prior to the flight? But, I was paired with this woman at the counter and therefore needed to call Air Canada to get a seat on a north bound plane months in advance. Which I did. For almost twice as much money as I got when I sold my Chevy Malibu.

After getting off the phone with Air Canada, I went back to the same attendant, proudly displayed my new ticket number, and she let me leave the country.

The ticket is fully refundable, which is why it was so expensive. First thing tomorrow morning it´s going to be refunded.

1 comment:

  1. I hope you get that refund! I actually ran into the same thing when I went to Italy, believe it or not. They wouldn't let me just buy a one way ticket. I ended up just getting the round trip one, but luckily I found out while applying for my Visa, not at the airport when I was leaving.

    ReplyDelete